My Private Realm

This is my space to write about whatever I want. I come here to vent, to record observations, and to share my stories and writing. Ultimately, I come here to be alone with my thoughts.

Monday, March 17, 2008

Wordsmiths Unlimited Entry

This is an entry for the Wordsmiths Unlimited blog.  The challenge is to write a 500 word story based on this picture:





A DAY OF FUN
By Adail Asmar

The sky is gray. The smell of wet grass overwhelms the popcorn and corn dog in the air. The carnival grounds are almost empty. Only a few stragglers can be seen. Anita straps her three-year-old daughter into the stroller.

"We're going to have so much fun today, Emily!"

Anita lightly touches the side of her large sunglasses to make sure they are secure and pushes the stroller towards the ticket booth. The first ride they go on is the merry-go-round. Anita and Emily share a beautiful pink horse. As the horse goes round and round, Emily's giggles grow louder. Anita feels a lifting of her spirit and soon her laughter joins her daughter's.

They go on all the rides, each one more fun than the last. Soon Emily is hungry and Anita buys them each a hot dog. They sit on a bench eating their dinner. The temperature has dropped and Anita starts to shiver in her tank top and shorts.

Emily notices and asks "Mama cold?".

Anita smiles and answers "A little bit. Mama forgot her jacket".

When the hot dogs are finished, Anita and Emily go back to their car and drive away from the carnival.

They pull into a parking lot and Anita gets out of the car and sits in the backseat next to Emily's car seat. Anita takes Emily out of her car seat and puts her in her lap.

"Sweetie, Mama needs to talk to you. See this pretty building? This is where Mama and Emily are going to live for a while. We're going to sleep here and then we're going to find a new house. "

"Dada too?" Emily asks.

"No, Emily. Dada isn't going to live with us anymore. From now on, it's just going to be Mama and Emily. Ok?"

Emily nods, even though she didn't exactly understand.

Anita takes a deep breath and climbs out of the car, still holding Emily. She gets their bag out of the trunk and walks to the entrance of the Woman's Shelter.

A matronly-looking woman is at the front desk.

"Hello, I'm Rebecca. Can I help you?"

Anita takes off her sunglasses; exposing the black eye her husband has given her the night before.

Rebecca merely nods and says "I see. Follow me please".

They all start walking down a long hallway. Then Rebecca notices the balloon Emily is carrying,

"What a pretty balloon. Where did you get it?"

"The Car-val" Emily answers.

Rebecca turns to Anita.

"You went to the carnival? Why didn't you come here directly?"

"She's never been before and I...I just wanted today to be fun...I couldn't stand it if today was all sad and confusing. She deserves a day of fun and I could finally give it to her". Anita's voice breaks as she tries to hold back tears.

Rebecca squeezes Anita's hand.

"I understand. But don't worry. There'll be many happy days for both of you".

Anita nods and follows Rebecca to her and Emily's new home.

2 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Blogger tiff said...

Didn't see it coming, that's for sure. Once I got to the end, I see why you chose to spend the words describing their activities at the carnival.

Sad and uplifting at the same time.

The new challenge is up, if you're interested in writing...

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Adail said...

Hi Tiff,

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my story. I am glad that you enjoyed it. I just found your comment now! It was stuck in "needs to be moderated" land! lol.

Adail

 

Post a Comment

<< Home